Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Dexcom Seven
I decided to write about my first week with the continuous glucose monitor. The first few hours I was constantly checking the receiver to see what my blood sugars were doing. As the week went on, I found myself checking the receiver less frequently. My first sensor was placed on my stomach as you can see in the picture below. I've also included a picture of the receiver and a good three hours! I hate giving myself shots in my stomach and have never placed a insulin pump infusion set there because it is the most uncomfortable spot for me. The first few days it was pretty uncomfortable, but I thought it would just take a little getting used to. As the week went on it just seemed to get more uncomfortable and I never got used to it being there. I took it off last night because it was really bothering me and the results I was getting were all over the place and not very accurate. I wasn't going to put a new one on until tomorrow, but I had a little extra time before dinner tonight with the girls, so I decided to try a new site. I decided to try my lower back and so far, so good! It's much more comfortable and I can't even feel it now. I figured I tend to sleep on my side, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue while sleeping. It was a little tricky bending back that way to insert the sensor, but not nearly as difficult as inserting my insulin pump infusion set! Here's a cool video of almost the same site that I used tonight. I really wanted to try the back of my arm, but I couldn't figure out a way to do it by myself...I might need the help of friend when I decide to try that! :) Well enough for now, I have to make Jell-O for tomorrow and then do a little last minute shopping in the morning before I head north for a few days!

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment