Friday, November 21, 2008

Continuous Glucose Monitoring System

I recently decided that I'm finally ready to get serious about getting a continuous glucose monitoring system (CGMS) and I'm in the process of working with DexCom to see what my insurance will cover. I've thought about getting this device in the past, but I have issues with be "hooked up" to two machines at once. I figure I will try it out and wear the machine as needed (like when my blood sugars are being chaotic) or to get an idea of trends in my blood sugars. The machine starts at $600 and the sensors are about $250 for four and the sensors last about one week. It's pretty expensive, but I believe it will be very beneficial and allow me even tighter control of my blood sugars. I also called my insurance company the other day and the lady I spoke with said that CGMS's and sensors are covered at 90% if I choose an in-network provider, so now I just have to fax a few papers to the DexCom representative and hopefully the approval process won't take very long! I'm getting excited because I think this may help me get my HbA1c to 6.0%!
This is what I have to look forward to! I love this blog and Kerri's experience and another person I have spoken to have also made me want to take this next step in my diabetes management! I'll let everyone know when (and if) I get approved for the CGMS!

No comments: